US Green Card and what you need to know


When thinking of immigrating abroad, the US is always the first thought of most people’s intentions because this is a country with many job and settlement opportunities. The US green card is considered the key to immigration. Since then, the common question many people have is how to get a green card in the US. The following article will clarify more about applying for a US green card.

A 2-year green card or a 10-year green card (Green Card), also known as a permanent resident card, is issued to an immigrant to prove that he or she has the right to permanently reside in the United States. An individual with a green card is called a Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR). Permanent residents will enjoy the same privileges as US citizens and can work legally in the US.


Green card through family member sponsorship program

Getting a green card through the family member sponsorship program is considered the most common way. If you are a relative of a US citizen or green card holder in the US, your relative can apply to sponsor you. This is one of the easiest ways to get a green card.

Guarantee for spouse and fiancé

CR-1 visa and IR-1 visa are two types of visas issued to spouses who come to the US under the spousal sponsorship. These are the types of US immigration visas for marriage. This visa is issued to foreign spouses of US citizens or permanent residents of the United States. These people want to come to the US to live with that US citizen or US permanent resident.

Unlike the spousal sponsorship visa, the K-1 visa is a non-immigrant US marriage visa. K-1 is for foreign fiancés and fiancés of US citizens. The K-1 visa allows the fiancé or fiancé of a US citizen to come to the US. They will then marry the Sponsor who is a US citizen. The marriage must take place within 90 days from the date of entry of the fiancé or fiancé.

Once married, the applicant submits a set of documents to the USCIS. The purpose is to adjust the nonimmigrant visa status to a conditional permanent resident. The person who is sponsored to go to the US as a fiancé will be granted a green card for 2 years.

Family priority guarantee

Currently, there are 4 types of family priority visas as follows:

F1 Family Priority Visa: This is a type of visa that allows US citizens to sponsor their unmarried children aged 21 or older to immigrate to the US.

Second Family Priority Visa – F2A and F2B Visa: Visa issued to spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age of permanent residents of the United States.

Third Family Preference Visa – F3 Visa: This visa allows US citizens to sponsor their married children.

Fourth Family Preference Visa – F4 Visa: This visa allows US citizens to sponsor their siblings.

Green card through employment in the US

Employment-based green cards are broader in scope than family-sponsored green cards. This includes getting a green card through the US investment stream and the US employment stream.

Get a green card for investment in the US

There are 2 ways to invest in the US to get a green card: direct investment and indirect investment. Direct investment is an investor who opens a branch, company or acquires an existing business and creates 10 full-time jobs for 2 consecutive years. An indirect investment is an investment in a project of a Regional Center. SKT mentions investment and job creation at: EB-5 The perfect path to US immigration for you as well as how long the US green card period is for each period.

Get a green card to work in the US

Currently, work visas in the US account for a large number of the total number of US immigrant visas. This shows that the demand to work and settle in the US is quite high. From there, a work visa in the US will help solve the labor shortage in this country. Types of work-based immigrant visas include:

EB-1 Visa: Priority workers.

EB-2 Visa: Highly Skilled Workers.

EB-3 Visa: Skilled Worker.

EB-4 Visa: Religious worker.

For more details on the EB-3 employment visa for skilled workers, please refer to SKT’s specific article on Unskilled Immigration – EB-3 Visa.

Green card for refugee status

Asylum individuals can apply for a green card through the asylum application stream to the United States. The issuance of green cards will also apply to family members of refugees. Asylum seekers are required to apply for a green card while in the United States for at least one year from the time they were granted asylum. To apply for a green card in the United States, an individual as a refugee must meet the following requirements:

File Form I-485.

Be physically present in the United States for at least 1 year after being granted asylum.

Continue to meet the refugee condition.

Do not resettle in any country other than the United States.

The grant of asylum has not been terminated.

Accepted by the United States for lawful permanent residents.

There are favorable factors to living in the US.


The desire to become an American citizen is always the dream of everyone. Once a US green card has been issued for 10 years, permanent residents can apply for US citizenship if they meet the following conditions:

Over 18 years of age at the time of application.

Have been a permanent resident for a period of at least 5 years prior to the date of filing the N-400 application (naturalization application).

Have lived in the state or county that has jurisdiction over the applicant for at least 3 months prior to the date of application.

Have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of application.

Be present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the five years prior to the date of application.

Be a permanent resident from the date of application to the time of naturalization.

Can read, write, and speak English, and have knowledge of U.S. history and government.

A person of good moral character in accordance with the principles of the United States Constitution.